What is Novice Nationals?
Novice Nationals is designed to be a low-key, educational, yet competitive atmosphere. Students who have competed at Novice Nationals have done very well at the national level, placing in elimination rounds at NFA, AFA, and NPDA.
Novice Nationals is open to students in their first year of intercollegiate forensics competition. We use the AFA guidelines for individual events (3 tournaments = 1 semester of eligibility). There is no qualification procedure. If you have any questions about eligibility, please contact Dr. Chris Fenner, the tournament director.
2014 National Tournament
Congratulations to the 2014 national champions from the 32nd Novice Nationals:
- Eastern Michigan University, team sweepstakes
- Tommy Barker, Eastern Michigan University, individual sweepstakes champion
- Jeffrey Fisher and Rebecca Payne, Lenoir-Rhyne University, parliamentary debate champions
- Anna Dowd, Harper College, top parliamentary debate speaker
- College of DuPage, Readers’ Theater champion
The list of elimination round participants, speaker award winners, and team sweepstakes winners are available on the 2014 results page.
- The 2015 national tournament will be held at Butler University, Indianapolis, Indiana.
- The 2016 national tournament will be held at the University of Louisiana-Lafayette.
- The 2017 national tournament will be held at the University of West Florida.